standards

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 23:03:17 +0200

Hello

For instance, because I tuned many Steinways, I have in my ear their
tone, and if very inspired I can (try to) tune a Yamaha vertical with
that tone in my ear, giving a larger piano tone.

Others know very well old Pleyel or such, and can tune a modern piano
with the tone of an older one.

Others tune with pure fifths and larger octaves than usually, and when
played the piano have a totally different tone than usual.

I have tuned pianos with the tone of a pianist I've heard a concert a
day before, and feel the impression of this tone (in my mind !)

None of these is good or bad , it is like for voicing, we have to
believe in what we do and then iot works (better )

Every time you tune a piano with something in mind (even if it is the
standard pattern of the PTG tuning) the tuning will sound better than
if you are not in a mood.

It is amazing how the temperament and character of the tuner reflects
in his tuning. With the machines we more or less loose this ability,
but it is also a production job indeed, we can nowadays keep some
creative touch in the process, when building tone on a very homogenous
pattern that is given by the tuner, but still the only machine that
allows a tone mood IMO is the VT, because it is so clearly giving you
an holistic approach you can agree with easily (end of advertising !)

Best wishes to all inspired tuners in ze world !

Isaac

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech