Guidelines comments

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:03:08 -0600

Hi WIm,
 You're right that the numbers crunchers (who seem to be the ones in
charge, at least of the purse strings), would like us to give them a cost
benefit analysis in terms they can easily understand. The problem with
trying to come up with such a thing, as I see it, is that having an
adequate number of techs per pianos will produce more of a qualitative
difference than a quantitative one.
	I think we are saying that, if you want the pianos in tune and in
condition at a level acceptable for higher education use, you need to
invest in this much maintenance. Will it make the pianos "last longer?" I
don't know that it will. Pianos "last" forever (relatively speaking). Keys
continue to go up and down, producing sounds, in most cases for 60 or more
years, barring vandalism, based on one or two services per year. So unless
a firm idea of quality is included in the formula, our workload
recommendation frankly makes little economic sense.
	That said, one useful approach is making the argument that replacing parts
and rebuilding is less expensive than springing for a new piano. I suppose
it might be possible to come up with some kind of quantitative formula
along these lines. Do you have any notions in this regard? Cost of new
pinblock, soundboard, action replacement versus brand new instrument, for
example, extended over time. That more or less assumes rebuilding is done
in-house, though.
	A part of our work involves preventive maintenance - tightening action
screws is a good example - but I doubt it takes up a very large percentage
of our time.
	Another fruitful approach vis a vis the bean counters, in my experience,
is to look at maintenance and replacement budget as a percentage of
inventory value (calculated in replacement value terms). This is the kind
of figure they are used to - replacing and maintaining the automotive
fleet, the computers, buildings and the like. Generally they'll be
astounded at how low our budgets are when seen in these terms. We address
this in the Guidelines in the section labeled Budget.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico