Guidelines comments

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:12:40 -0500

Wim:

I don't think anyone could hazard a wild guess as to how long the
instruments will last with X amount of maintenance as opposed to Y
amount of maintenance.  The thing I have tried to communicate is 1>
they will last somewhat longer with proper maintenance 2> if the
school is pretending to be teaching artistry, there is a certain
amount of maintenance that has to be done to keep the instruments
suitable for artistic use.

I think it wise of the committee to leave out speculation that can't
be verified by research data.  You'd have to set up two similar
schools, buy identical instruments and have a disparate maintenance
program to verify how much longer they will last.  That's not going
to be done.

I also try to emphasize that I can take a 15-year-old practice room
grand and trade it for $30,000 or rebuild the essentials for $10,000.
 You don't have to have a Ph.D to understand that.  A lot of this
can't be documented.....it can only be explained to people who want
to understand.  Anyone who wants documented proof of this kind of
information doesn't really want to understand, and as you said too
many don't care about 10 - 20 years down the road.  Most in the upper
levels of management will be retired by then.

dave