String buzz

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:57:00 -0400

>Hey,
>
>Is it possible that this lever is just enough longer than the other levers
>so that it contacts the vibrating string while others don't?
>
>Alan McCoy

It is exactly the same length, and moves exactly the same distance as its
neighbors (i.e. doesn't jut out of line).  You could put a straight edge
across the bottom of the levers, or across the back, and nothing about this
particular lever appears any different from the others.  The best I can
figure, is that it just happens to be at the right place at the right time
in relation to the physics of the vibration of the string(s) it is
contacting and none of its neighbors got so lucky.