Baldwin termination bars

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:00:22 -0500

Fred:

I have one customer with an SD-10 as you describe.  It too is an
older unit and those pieces are not individual pieces but 1 per
section.  Several years ago I did tighten the Allen screws that are
underneath because it seemed to have some strange noises though not
as bad nor as sudden as the ones you describe.  This piano (it
belongs to one of our piano faculty) needs rebuilding.  I have
wondered about those parts as I'm sure Baldwin no longer has them
available.  I think if I were faced with your colleague's problem I'd
just string braid off those sections.  I have done it to an SF-10
that was in a recording studio.  They were close mikeing it and
complaining about the odd noises.  When I braided those sections I
was an instant hero.  I'm sure that fix goes against the
manufacturers intent, but whatever they intended, it sounds bad.

dave