Guidelines comments

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:36:24 -0600

I don't know, Wim. I can't see how we can argue that a piano _lasts_ longer
if we do the recommended maintenance as you describe. In fact, it seems to
me that doing what we recommend costs more and makes pianos last less long
- or at least makes the components of pianos last less long. Regular hammer
filing makes hammers die quicker; repinning shanks to maintain frictional
parameters means more rapid replacement of shanks and flanges; regular
re-stringing means more rapid replacement of pinblock; etc.
	Now there are schools where quality rebuilding and maintenance isn't part
of the picture, and where, particularly with regard to performance pianos,
there is a tendency to replace more often than necessary. The hammers get
beaten in, some zings appear, key bushings get sloppy, knuckles and tails
are glazed - the piano just isn't that wonderful instrument they picked out
so carefully. Better get a new one. I've seen that often enough, and I
expect many others have as well. It means piles of money goes to replacing
prominent pianos, leaving next to nothing for maintenance and replacement
of the rest of the inventory.
	In that kind of circumstance, you can certainly argue that hiring a
qualified tech would save you money. But for the most part, I think the
only argument that makes sense is that you have to invest in maintenance by
a skilled tech if you want to have instruments at a quality level adequate
to higher education needs. Period. Keeping pianos a performance level
requires a constant investment of time and skill.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
Universidad de Nuevo Mexico