Guidelines comments

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:28:32 -0600

Fred,

I agree with you. If we could only put it across that clearly and
succinctly to the administrators...

If it's any help, here at BYU we have around 404 pianos, 2 fulltime
technicians, 2 student understudies, and 2 part time contracted
technicians. We have a history of having university technicians.
However, our "rival" U. of Utah doesn't, and consequently their 57 or so
new Steinways are feeling it. Even though some fine technicians are
hired to "tune" them they still don't receive the care they need. If you
want to compare the difference between the have (techs) and the have
nots this could be a good example.

Jim Busby BYU

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Fred Sturm
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 3:41 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: Guidelines comments

	I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, Wim. Administrators are
willing to
pay what it takes to hire the football coach who will win them the
required
number of games. They are willing to pay for the number of
groundskeepers
it takes to keep the flowers and grass looking pretty. They'll buy the
computers and pay for the LANL and support staff to stay at the cutting
edge of technology. None of those expenditures saves them money. They do
it
because it is necessary to achieve a level of excellence.
	If you want to achieve a level of excellence in music, your
pianos have to
be kept at a high level (and you need a good faculty, and a good
facility,
etc, etc). To keep your pianos at a high level, you need qualified
technicians at a predictable ratio to your number of pianos. Just like
you
need a predictable number of groundskeepers per acre of lawn. I don't
think
this is hard to understand. Even for an administrator ;-)
	Now as to how credible our document is, that will depend to a
large degree
on the number and range of endorsements we can get. I'm hoping Steinway,

Kawai, and Yamaha will follow through on their willingness (expressed in

Chicago) to at least consider endorsing. And that individual
endorsements
will start to pour in from fellow CAUT's (7 so far and counting).
	There are plenty of other ways we can be more persuasive. One
possibility
is to come up with "real life stories" of institutions of various sorts
(from large state to small liberal arts to conservatory to community
college) which have situations we would describe as good with respect to

pianos. They're out there, but it would take some effort to find them,
obtain adequate data, and write them up. It would be a good project,
IMO.
But we have lots more projects than we have persistent people to carry
out,
at least at the moment.

Fred

--On Thursday, June 12, 2003 4:57 PM -0400 Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> Unfortunately, trying to convince bean counters that the school needs
> spend money on piano tuners is going to fall on deaf ears, if we can't
> show them it is going to save them money. Just telling an
administrator