Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:15:47 -0500

Jeff & Tom:

This is an interesting intersection of two emails.  On one hand the
cost of health insurance and other benefits making self employment an
expensive proposition -- especially as you get older.  On the other
hand we have the pay at a salaried job too low to make a living and
attend conventions.

I have been a contract tech at SMU for 17 years and am now working
about 1/2 time there.  At my age just getting health insurance is
difficult and once found, it is expensive -- actually very expensive.
 I have been investigating the possibility of a staff position so I
can qualify for those benefits.  Is this simply a case of "the grass
is always greener"?  I don't really think so, but I'm willing to look
at the whole picture.

Some of the salaries I've seen in the last CAUT survey would indeed
be classified as too low to make a living.  I'm hoping that if
serious negotiations start in my case that I'll not be insulted with
an offer like I've seen others have.  I really think that schools are
just like any business in that they will pay you as little as they
think they can get by with.  It then is up to us to politely turn
down any offers that don't meet our needs.  I was totally self
employed for 13 years before I started doing college work, and I
would certainly return to that status if it became necessary.

CAUT work lets us work with better musicians, work on generally
better pianos, have vacations, holidays, and benefits.  Independent
self-employment allows us to make a higher gross, but requires taking
care of our own off-time, insurance, self-employment taxes etc.  70 -
100K$ is a figure I hear but generally only from younger and higher
energy people.  You have to be very committed and spend a lot of time
to make that kind of money in our business.  Tune all day, make calls
all evening, kiss wife on Sunday.  Maybe I'm just getting too old for
that drill.

Like the CAUT curriculum discussion, this is a very important one for
us to have.  For me, like Tom,  the timing is appropriate.

dave