CAUT credential was Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:38:41 EDT

Yes, but without the accredited recognition equivalence of a BS, MBA, or
Ph.D. degree, this will never impact the way (in which) schools evaluate one's
performance and salary ladder. Look at any school's systems pay scale and it is
very clearly spelled out for faculty members with BS degrees, compared to MBA,
and Ph.D. degrees. Professional staff degrees go into this foggy area which is
nebulous at best.
Lets face, we work in a profession which has no entry level standards and
extremely vague references with regard to professional standards..other than RPT.
Which I argue still doesn't impact the public to the degree in which we think
it does.
Don't get me wrong I would love no love nothing more to see our profession
elevated to heights more deserving. But we have a long way to go to convince a
public which still views this profession, in general, as a so-so way of making
a living.
As long as someone can read the first page of a piano tuning book, get some
business cards made, hang a shingle, and then charge the same amt. as the most
experience tech in the area, you got a problem.
On the upswing of this argument is the serious piano playing public does
understand the training needed in order for us to work at the level that we do.
They do appreciate the fine nuances a good tech can bring to a given piano. It's
another issue altogether to be able to establish accredited credentials which
can be used across the board to evaluate one's performance.
We have a long way to go on this one.
Tom Servinsky, RPT