take this job and shove it (was let's cut..)

rwest1@neb.rr.com rwest1@neb.rr.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:02:46 -0400

Rick,

I feel much the same way about my university position.  I’m given
considerable responsibility and flexibility and feel that the adminstration
and faculty appreciate what I do.  With all the budget cutting over the
past few years, my salary has actually improved and the money that I have
control over has not been cut.  Our creative funding is this:  the piano
fund is based on three sources--1/3 comes from our performing arts center
for my services there, 1/3 comes from the School of Music operating
expenses, and 1/3 comes from the foundation.  Yes, our university
foundation was persuaded to contribute and has for several years now.  It’s
a few thousand dollars which is a drop in the bucket for them, but means a
lot to me and what I’m able to do.

But I’m certainly aware that many universities feel they can cut back on
piano technician salaries because they feel that technicians can make lots
of money on the side.  I was once offered a position for considerably less
pay.  The interviewer was apologetic but happily stated,”Because you work
for the university you’ll be able to get lots of good sidework.”  She was
literally surprised when I said I didn’t want to have to rely on sidework
for my income.  I wanted to commit fully to the university and be paid
accordingly.  I didn’t accept the offer.

My point in the previous paragraph is that at that interview I was prepared
and knew something about how universities operate.  With the Guidelines,
and help through the CAUT list, naive technicians can be educated before
they get stuck with a poor position working for a college that treats them
poorly.  Knowledge and education can help technicians make better choices,
have the confidence to demand and expect more from their university
employers right from the first interview, and even perhaps raise the bar
for college salaries and benefits.  That’s what makes all the work that the
CAUT committee has been doing all the more important.  In many ways the
Guidelines are more useful for educating technicians than for making
administrators see the light.

I’d be interested in hearing more “creative funding” sucess stories.

Richard West, University of Nebraska