That dadgumed short SD-10

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 08 May 2003 10:10:09 -0600

	I've always been puzzled by all the complaints about bowing trucks. I have
under my care four Steinway D's and a Mason CC on standard Colson trucks
(the ones with the inner arms for concert grand size - these can't be
adjusted small enough for a 7 foot), and not a one of them bows badly. I
measured the two in our recital hall this morning and found a rise of about
a centimeter - at any rate less than 1/2 inch - from just by any caster to
the middle. These are all forty year old trucks. I guess Baldwin SD-10's
are a bit heavier, but probably not more than 10 - 15%. I doubt that would
be enough to "break the camel's back." Maybe it has to do with initial set
up - getting lengths adjusted, and the bolts well tightened down _before_
lowering weight onto the truck.
	I'm sure those who have had troubles are telling it like it is, but
thought I'd throw in an opposing experience just for the record.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Wednesday, May 7, 2003 8:30 PM -0500 Alan Crane