Schaff Tuning Levers

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:26:31 -0500

Hi Elwood,

On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 10:37 AM, Elwood Doss, Jr. wrote:

> Yes, the first one I purchased 14 years ago gave me similar problems.
> It
> was one of their top-of-the-line hardwood handle ones.  It got
> better--I
> kept it and still use it.  I found that I had the problem after I
> tried to
> use a Hale tip on the extension handle.

With my #6 Schaff hammer, the ONLY way I could use the handle was by
ordering an APSCO head and tip for it (which, at the time, also fit my
Hale hammer).  Up until lately, at least.  I recently bought one of
Schaff's new Hale style heads, and it works fine now.  But that's
because the first 5 or 6 rows of threads on the shaft are completely
gone.  Who wants to spend $75 for a precision tool that has to tear up
before it works right?  I thought maybe after this head fit well on the
shaft of my old #6 that they'd corrected the problem.  But I guess not.

>  I had a problem with a nylon
> extension lever--the head would not tighten up.  I sent it back,
> received a
> refund, and ordered a hardwood handle one from Pianotek.   I use it
> here at
> work all the time and have been pleased.  I think it was a Watanabe
> extension hammer.  Their Watanabe stationary hammers are only around
> $80.  I
> think Schaff and Pianotek prices are comparable on these items.  Hope
> this
> helps.
>
> Joy!
> Elwood

I may wind up doing that.  But I have to say I have issues with not
buying American made products whenever I can - no offense intended to
those of other nationalities, but American companies used to
manufacture tools that work properly and there's no reason we can't
still do that.  That, and Pianotek doesn't offer a Watanabe nylon
handle extension lever, which would cost much less than the rosewood
handle one.  The Schaff/APSCO nylon extension levers had been under $60
for a long time (up until 10/15/03), and that's what my student thought
he was paying until the invoice got here.  I don't know if my student
really would go for, or could afford to go for, an "extension" hammer
that doesn't extend that costs more than an extension hammer.  He is,
after all, a college student, and we all remember what that's like.
The other part of the issue is that the Watanabe heads and tips cost a
good bit more than what the Schaff/APSCO heads and tips have always
cost.  So, when you need a #1, #2, and #3 tip and a couple of extra
heads of various sizes, the cost really is much higher.  They also only
offer two heads, and only in 15 degree. (Isn't the Yamaha, suggested by
Isaac, made by Watanabe?)

I'm really frustrated with what's gone on in the piano supply industry
in the last few years.  I never had problems with either Tuner's Supply
or APSCO, or Pianotek.  But it seems like there's a problem with every
order from Schaff, at least where tools are concerned.

Jeff