Digital cameras (Piano Action)

Don Mannino DMannino@kawaius.com
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:43:28 -0800

Hi all,

Kawai has some new high-speed films which we will be showing in
Nashville in a new seminar outlining Kawai's recent R&D work.

I tried to show a couple of them at the North Carolina convention last
month, but my projector and computer were not cooperating.  I found the
problem finally! :-)

Unfortunately it is like pulling teeth getting Kawai's R&D to release
these films even to an employee like me, so I am not allowed to
distribute them to anyone else.  I even had to promise not to give
copies to other Kawai employees.  So sorry, I cannot send copies to
anyone.  But do come see them in Nashville.

By the way, the Kawai RX shanks have two bending modes in the vertical
plane (visible when looking from the side).  There is a long arched flex
when the hammer is driven up, then there is a fast vibration of the head
after impact which bends the shank mainly in the thin round gluing area
of the shank.  The result of studying these movements was to thin the
shanks in the Shigeru Kawai pianos in a different way than normal.
Makes a big difference in sound!  More in Nashville . . .

The stiff, hexagonal hornbeam shanks aren't nearly as rubbery looking as
the old Kimball shanks looked.

Don Mannino