Hexagonal Shaft

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:52:51 -0500

On November 14, Joe Goss wrote that a 3/32 hex shaft is as strong as a 1/4
round shaft (talking about hammer shanks).  Today, I asked how he arrived
at that conclusion.  Today Joe answered.  Joe, in your answer, you compared
a 1/4 round shank to a 1/4 hex shank.  That's obvious.  But that's not what
you said.  You originally said a 3/32 hex shank is as string as a 1/4 round
shank.  3/32 = 0.09375.  That's less than 1/8 inch.  I never saw any hammer
shank that small, even in an antique piano, but that's what you wrote. I
went back and checked your statement twice.  So, I assune you meant 3/16,
not 3/32, but that won't work either.  I laid out a few sample Renner
shanks, but they aren't hex.  They are octagonal, and they are certainly
much larger than any 3/32 inch, and definitely larger than any 3/16 inch
for that matter, no matter where you measure them.

Since this issue has been raised, I'm going to go back and make a few
stress/strain measurements on some different types of shanks, and just see
which bends more than what.  I'll get back with the results in a few days.

Let's all try to avoid making wild guesses.  OK?

Sincerely, Jim Ellis