Hexagonal Hammer Shanks

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:13:56 EST

Jim wrote:
>  In this case,
>the moment of inertia of the shank itself is almost negligible.  The moment
>of inertia is all concentrated out at the hammer head, and we don't want
>the hammer head to wiggle and wobble as it hits the string.

Ron replied:
>>I'm talking about stiffness, Jim, not inertia.>>

hi Yall,
    If I might suggest another consideration besides stiffness:
Upon contact with the string, there is an entrainment between the string and
the action.  The path of this is from string/hammer/shank/pinning/rail
felt/rail/keyframe/keybed/case/plate/string.  We know that a loose pin, a loose
hammer head , or a loose flange screw will change the sound of the note, so I
suspect that there are transient exchanges of energy that occur upon impact.  I
also suspect that the mass of the moving components is also a factor.
  The mass of the shank just might affect the behavior of the hammer/string
interaction.  I have not made a study of what's happening, but the lighter
shanks I use, (presently Brooks) seem to give me a cleaner sound and a more
malleable tone, ie, I can get a little brilliance at soft levels without having to
suffer a strident tone at mf. This is good, because a little bit of the higher
partials gives definition to those soft, dark notes.
     I did change a shank from the thinner to the thicker on a fresh hammer
job,(did you know that on a STeinway B, it is easy to break the #20 hammer if
the action goes in a little crooked??) The note lost some clarity, and it
wasn't because the hammer had been rehung with grooves in new places, it was a new
hammer that had been played only enough to rough voice the piano.  That E just
didn't sound as evenly voiced as it had.  The next day, with a spare thin
shank, the tone came back into line.
   So, I don't know if stiffness is the only thing to consider in shanks.  My
percussionist friends at the school tell me that the weight and diameter of a
drum stick or tympani mallett certainly makes a difference in the sound and I
don't think flex is much of a consideration there.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">
MP3.com: Six Degrees of Tonality</A>