Hexagonal Shanks

Richard E. West rwest1@unl.edu
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:02:31 -0600

Hello, All

Stephen Birkett wrote:

Now, whether we want them stiff or a bit limp, that's a 'nuther question
altogether.

It seems to me that a less rigid shank might allow for more variation in tone
even though it might also be tougher for the pianist to control.  A hard blow
will contort the shank so that the hammer hits farther to the front (player
side) of the hammer in a grand.  A soft blow will have so little shank
bending, that the hammer will over center.  This has always made me wonder if
hammers shouldn't be hung at less than 90 degrees.  I've heard it said that
Steinway hammers that are worn and about to need replacing sound the best.
That's precisely when the hammers would be overcentering most, but on a hard
blow the hammers may be hitting the strings at exactly 90 degrees due to
shank flexing.

Add to this the micro-second, massaging of the string by the hammer after the
hammer initially hits the string, and you add to the complexity of the
hammer/string love affair.  A too stiff shank merely has the variability of
speed and force with the hammer blow.  It doesn't allow as much of that cute
little bending and wiggling of the hammer that you see on the high speed
film.  Another way of characterizing it is that the shank and hammer are more
like a pole vaulter than a stiff lever.  At least that's the way my
uneducated eye sees it.

Richard West, University of Nebraska