Hammer Shanks

madelyn mrykalo madvinmryk@yahoo.com
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:23:38 -0800 (PST)

This is interesting data... interesting in light of what renner says about hornbeam (that it's stiffer).  Are there grain orientation differences between the samples (assuming that is a consequential variable)?
vince

James Ellis <claviers@nxs.net> wrote:

N.Y. Steinway, pre-1920, maple
Knuckle stock: H = 0.255 W = 0.472
Round shank, tapered 0.243 to 0.200 at 4.75 from center.
Strike weight: 1.3 gram
Vertical bend: 0.059"

N.Y. Steinway, modern, maple
Knuckle stock: H = 0.260 W = 0.475
Round shank, tapered 0.260 to 0.220 at 4.75 from center.
Strike weight: 1.7 gram
Vertical bend: 0.035"

Renner octagonal, hornbeam
Knuckle stock: H = 0.240 W = 465
Shank, octagonal, uniform, no taper: 0.240
Strike weight 1.6 gram
Vertical bend: 0.061"

Thinned treble shank, make unknown, wood unknown.
Knuckle stock: H = 0.240 W = 0.465
Shank, oval, uniform, no taper: 0.235 x 0.1875
Strike weight: 1.7 gram
Vertical bend: 0.065"

I considered measureng the torsion stiffness as well, but that would have
required another setup, and considerably more time. The results speak for
themselves. If we are interested in stiffness - vs - weight, the round
tapered shank is definitely superior to the non-tapered octagonal shaft.
Little is gained by the octagonal shape, and much stiffness is lost by not
having a larger cross section near the knuckle. We are dealing here with a
lever, not a structural beam. Whatever you might or might not say about
Steinway, New York, they obviously have the right idea here. The shank is
stiff where it needs to be stiff, and light where it needs to be light.
That design make good sense to me.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis