Hammer Shanks

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:06:10 +0100

Hi Jim

I have no problem with Tims subjective assesment, as long as its
accompanied by a reasonbly objective definition of what "sounds better"
means. I think he supplied that fairly well in his reply to me, and
mentioned some form of documentation to confirm his results.

He measured and found that thinned shanks tend to enhance the lower
partials (all other things being equal). Either thats true or its not it
would seem to me. If he chooses to equate lower partial enhancement with
better sound, then thats up to him. Seems to me I've heard worse
examples of exactly this kind of mixing subjective tastes with physical
phenomena. At least Tim supplied a fairly clear definition to what
"good" or "better" in this case means.

Cheers
RicB

--