Hammer Shanks/ the sounds better bit

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:35:34 +0100

Hi participants :)

Just thought an attempt at a clarification as to the two "what sounds
better concerns" might be in order.

As I see it, one position has it that a stiffer shank guarentees a more
solid blow to the string, which imparts a clearer, more defined
sound.... equated with "sounds better",

while the other position has it that there is a measureable increase in
the lower fundementals when a thinned shank is used which is also
equated as "sounding better"

Seems like a classic tradeoff situation to begin with, as it goes to
conflicting attributes relating to the moment of contact between hammer
and string.

As far as lower fundementals argument is concerned... both the increase
in lower fundementals, and the <<on the table>> explaination for why it
happens (i.e. the wiggle) seem to correspond fairly well with the idea
that hammer voicing manipulates the degree of strength of differing
partials for the string being sounded.... so it would seem on the
surface of things that this could be satisfactorilly addressed from a
voicing point of view.

Not really mentioned or gone into much in all this is the actual sound
contribution the shank itself makes. Actually... that shouldnt be
underestimated. Critics of the modern piano often site that the overall
sound of the modern piano is dominated by just plain old noise, and I
think impact noise qualifies as part of this area of criticism. The
various  << Thuds >> if you will, of parts banging on each other, and
reverberating set up a kind of base line set of tones that get blended
into the frequencies of the strings. How much (and for how long) these
actually affect the overall sound of the piano while playing is another
question, but there can be no doubt that significant variances in hammer
shank frequencies are noticble soundwise, as is the difference between
the sound made by a hard keyfront cushion vs a soft cushion.

Personally, I opt for stiff shanks, and as solid as I can get away with
center pining. And my reasoning is simply to get the most solid precise
blow as possible as that provides the most consistantly clean sound
possible at various levels of play. Thats my experience fwiw at this
point in time.

Cheers
RicB

Richard Brekne