bobbling hammers, again

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:49:18 -0700

Wim,

No one can know for sure what is causing this without looking, but here
are a few thoughts:

- Backcheck height (already discussed)
- Backcheck angle too far back (too steep of an angle)
- Too much aftertouch for some reason - jack is binding on the rep lever
window when key is held down
- Action spread is wrong (which could be caused by  parts not fitting on
rails the same as old ones, etc.) causing too little jack clearance
between the knuckle and the stop felt in the rep lever window.

I agree with others that the backcheck angle / tail shape still seem to
be the most likely culprits.

Don Mannino

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 6:58 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: bobbling hammers, again

In a message dated 9/29/03 7:51:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
kswafford@earthlink.net writes:

Don't try to make this into a mystery, Wim. It isn't.

I read Ed's post rather differently than you. I'm not as nice as Ed, so
I'll go ahead and suggest that he was gently telling you that on those
3 notes you do not have  tails with the proper radius and/or backchecks
that are properly angled; if you did, they would work properly.

This is a not an uncommon problem. You ask, "Why would one key/hammer
work perfectly, and the next one, with all the same characteristics,
not?" Obviously, they do not in reality have the same characteristics.
Keep looking.

Kent

I've shaped the tails, rough them up, and eliminated the cutting edge at
the bottom. I've adjusted the back checks up, down, in and out. Now
what?

Wim