Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:44:26 -0500

I sure wish action makers would
revert to starting off with 19 centerpins, instead of 20.5 or so.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

Ditto Fred,

I've been around the ball-park on this one. Renner and Abel both use the
20.25 pins.

According to Wally Brooks, it is a Euro thing, and they won't change it.

Renner's response was; "						"

For awhile I used Tokiwa parts. They come pinned with 19 or 19.5 I believe.
This provides some latitude for pinning over the lifespan of the knuckles
and hammers, while 20.25 (IMHO) does not.

In the abscence of replacement flanges, I have facilitated re-bushing to a
nominal pin-size as follows:

1.) Inject the birdseye with a methanol/water solution

2.) Shoot compressed air through the birdseye

3.) Let the flanges dry over a warm source overnight (un-pinned)

4.) Choose a nominal-sized centre-pin for best-fit

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University