Pinning and Tone

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:09:32 EDT

Greetings,
Jim writes:
<< I have been reading these posts about the effect of center-pinning on tone.
 Has anyone done any definitive tests to actually measure the effect -
i.e., with a three-dimensional spectrum analyzer, for example, where
absolutely nothing is changed except the pinning? <snip>  Is there
anyone within 250 miles of Oak Ridge, Tennessee who is into this particular
study?<<

   Yes, I am within 250 miles of Oak Ridge, but I wish it was 1000!  The deer
that are shot on the property are often too radioactive to be allowed out of
the perimeter.  It is a poisonous area over there.
    I haven't done the clinical trials on pinning and tone, but have a large
and growing practical experience.  The clicking sound of a loose pin is
unquestionably gone when pinned tighter, the gain of fundamental is my usual
observation, though it may be subjective.  I have never had a pianist that didn't
notice a better sound out of the piano after the pinning was restored, but we
must hold out the possibility that they are responding to a change of feel as
well.
     However,  it has happened more than once that keen eared listeners have
noticed an improvement in the sound after a hammerline has been repinned.  The
latest was on stage here at Vanderbilt.  I had just finished repinning the
hammerline after a four-year old installation when the stage was commandeered
for a short jury trial.  The faculty that was in attendance asked me if I had
voiced the piano since the day before!  I had done no regulation, no tuning, no
nothing but repinning and the change was obvious to several.
If someone wants to quantify all of this, I suspect it will be very difficult
to apply the findings to any piano other than the one measured, given the
variety of hammers and their conditions on other pianos.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">
MP3.com: Six Degrees of Tonality</A>