Lacquer application

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:51:26 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/03 7:50:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net writes:

> Could the application of hardener to the shoulder and allowing it to wick
> to the top help to minimize the unwanted high frequencies while allowing firm
> support to the shoulders giving volume and power?
>

> I have found the use of acetone/key top solution to increase this unwanted
> noise over lacquer.   Thanks!
>

> Lance Lafargue, RPT

Applying the lacquer to the sides hardens the sides, but leaves the crown
soft(er). If you need to add more lacquer, it will only penetrate to where the
hardened lacquer is, thus more of it will be left in the crown area. that is why
NY recommends you always add lacquer from the top down, to allow it to flow
more towards the middle of the hammer.

As far as Acetone and plastic is concerned, as Del once said, you should not
add plastic to wool. However, I've done this on other than S&S hammers with
great success.

Wim