Lacquer application

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:17:29 -0500

Thanks again to all of you=85.   Steinway does teach the use of key top =
in
individual string lines/areas (guys in the basement use this technique I
am told).  They also stress listening to individual strings to see where
the problem actually is before sticking in needles, which maximizes
volume, etc., without needlessly killing the rest of the hammer.  That
is the only way I use key top solution now, never for the main
hardening.  Also, a douse of straight acetone to the top of hammers will
reliquify hardeners and bring down hammers that have been overdone. =20
=20
Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Allen Wright
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 12:36 PM
To: davidlovepianos@earthlink.net; College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: Lacquer application
=20
I'd like to put in a good word for the occasional, intelligent use of
keytop hardener. I find it excellent for "detail" voicing or tone
building; after you've done your major lacquer application/s and find
that a few notes have a little less power than their neighbors, using a
very thinned out solution with keytop can tweak those notes up just the
right amount. I'm talking about a solution that looks like skimmed milk
(or even weaker). Used with discretion, this sort of thing can give you
the subtle boost the note needs.

I remember first watching Franz Mohr use keytop solution many years ago
in a seminar talk. The thing that sticks in my memory is that he even
liked to use it on just one string line on the hammer if he felt that
was all it needed. Detailed juicing, indeed...

It's also great in concert prep situations, where you don't have the
luxury of waiting for lacquer to dry.

I agree, however, that used as the main hardener it tends to be more
brittle and noisy sounding, and I prefer lacquer for "the main dose".

Allen Wright, RPT
Northern Kentucky University