capo buzz

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:04:21 +1000

>At 12:53 PM -0500 20/10/03, Mark Cramer wrote:
>Ron Overs suggests placing a piano wire over your bearing material of
>choice, then whacking it with a hammer... if the bar indents, it is too
>soft.

Hello Mark,

I wouldn't recommend doing this test on a piano with a factory
standard capo, since almost all would be too soft. We only use this
check on the capo and duplex bars we've hardened.

At 8:18 AM -0500 20/10/03, Lance Lafargue wrote:
>  And how do I determine if I have a "soft" V-bar?

Check the bars for string grooves. If there are noticeable grooves
the bar is from my experience too soft.

One added benefit of hardened bars is that the strings slide easily
when aligning the wire. However, for pianos which have been laid out
such that the wire does not run straight across the bearing bars,
hardened bars can allow the strings to migrate along the bar as the
string is rendered.

I would also like to add a comment to Richard B's and David L's
remarks regarding reshaping the bars to a 0.5 mm V. This will work as
suggested provided that the bars are not actually hard. If the bars
are harder than the wire (45 on the Rockwell C scale) and the string
approach angle is over 15 degrees, premature string breakage will
certainly occur.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY