piano class

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:59:27 EDT

I've put forth a proposal to teach a class on "piano parts & their
functions," at both the undergraduate and graduate level at UA. Much to my dismay, and
several of the students who really wanted it, the graduate curriculum committee
has already rejected the proposal. The undergraduate curriculum committee has
tentatively approved it, but when it came up for discussion at the full
faculty meeting the other day, one of the concerns was the number of students who
would take this class, and how often it should be offered. The Provost, in an
effort to save money, is cracking down on classes with fewer than 10 students.
Although that would virtually eliminate a bunch of classes in the music
school, it will be difficult to approve a new class, unless it can be shown that at
least 10 student will take it.

So I am asking for help, especially from those of you who teach a piano
class, as described, at major state universities. We have about 350 undergraduate
students, and 150 graduate level. There are only 4 undergraduate piano majors
and 7 graduate piano majors, but the three piano profs together teach about 40
students all together. These are either majors, minors, or students with some
degree of proficiency. (There is a piano lab for "non players").

So that I can argue my case that this class will be well attended, to get an
idea of how we compare, could you please answer the following questions.

How often is the class offered?
How many students attend the class?
How many undergraduate music students in the department?
How many graduate music students in the department?
How many undergraduate piano majors?
How many graduate piano majors?
How many piano faculty?
How many students do they teach?

I would like to hear any other comments on this matter that will help my
argument to teach this class.

Thanks for your input.

Wim Blees RPT
University of Alabama