Pinning and Tone

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:40:44 +0100

Hello,

I have actually a whippen and a grand shank from NY, and indeed :
When looking closely one can understand that the expremity of the
flanges where dipped in something, even if you pass with a finger
along you feel the tefloned part. The bushing is impregnated with a
white product.

The holding seem very firm for the very little friction of the parts.

What dismiss me is that the joint of the bushing for the jack seem (to
me)  in a wrong place, where it is the more prone to get some play
quick, I mean on the front of the flange, almost horizontally, that is
obviously where the pressure apply when the jack is pushed with the
button and blocked by the lever flange stop cushion (and in fact my
new part have yet a visible little side play in that direction, but it
was due to a little defect in the bushing joint.

Renner instruct us to install the bushing joint (for the jack) almost
vertically, on a 5° tolerance between vertical position and a little
towards the back of the part. This from evidence is not a pressure
point for the jack.

Being made susopicious, I checked other joint positions, other joints
are vertical, the same as Renner parts. Hammer joint seem Ok too

May be the sample parts I received had a mistake made, can you check
that also ?

The most obvoius problem is in the jack.

The pinning method have of course yet to prove its value in time, but
the effect is indeed very interesting (firmness and friction free)
Otherwhile, I've find the parts precisely made, but the cushion rest
felt is a bit hard for my liking, the whippen heel seem a tad too soft
(white cloth), and the rollers are strange to my european eyes (not
really round but I can't understand if it is on purpose).
Not to say that Reenner parts look better , I am used to it and have
rarely real problems with them, these days al;l piano parts are
different from what they where 15 years ago, sometime for the better
(more precise) sometime for the worse (material less good).

I'll be glad to hear comments. I have considered using these parts on
a NY mod C I know. A friend just used a total Renner action parts on a
1907 mod B (NY) and everything went fine from the firts try
(whippen.hammer.shanks).

Renner provide us actually 8 different whippen models for these
instruments, less expensive, but not friction free ;>)

Best regards.

Isaac

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - réparateur