Pinning and Tone

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:50:03 -0500

I have installed a half dozen sets of these new S&S S&Fs  in the past few
months and have found them to be extremely consistent both in the knuckle
department as well as in the pinning. Using the Correx gauge at the screw
hole, I would say a good 80% of them have been right at 3 grams and all were
within Steinway's specs. The knuckle molding is actually phenolic resin
instead of wood (which makes sense I guess) and I have yet to see one that
wasn't at 90 degrees to the shank. I have seen no variation in knuckle size
from set to set or within a set. The Renner parts I have used recently have
been coming in far less consistent in terms of knuckle size, orientation to
the shank (far too many were not at 90 deg.), and pinning. As a matter of
fact, I started using the Steinway parts after visiting the factory for a
seminar and (like Fred) being impressed with the improvements in the action
part manufacturing. I used to use the Renner parts for their consistency but
in the past couple of years have noticed a lot more quality control and
consistency problems. I'd say that the Steinway parts have come from way
behind in quality to a notch ahead and am willing to pay extra for it.

Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati