Pinning and Tone

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:32:45 -0700

Hi Isaac,
	Interesting photo. I have seen hammers with tails shaped like that, though
not Steinway. Must be a Hamburg, no? Certainly Renner shanks. You are
right, the center of that curve does seem to be maybe 0.5-1 cm above the
shank. It seems like a circle segment, or quite close to one, with a radius
around 5.5 cm (2 1/4"), maybe increasing slope at the end.
	NYC Steinways of the same era had a more eccentric tail shape, with a very
slight slope from the end of the felt most of the way down, then a fairly
sudden shift inward, almost straight, for the last 1-1.5 cm. And deep
checkering on that lowest segment. That almost flat segment matched the
angle of the check reasonably well, but the sudden change in direction left
what I refer to as a bump, which would catch on the check on the way up if
one tried to get close checking. And the checks were too low, and the tails
not long enough, but that's another story.
	Current production - at least the D our university got 3 years ago, and
newer ones I have seen, including those at the factory last week - have a
profile much more like a segment of a circle, though less curved than in
your photo.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Friday, October 31, 2003 11:03 PM +0100 Isaac sur Noos