damper lever ht.

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:25:55 -0600

Conrad,
	I'm wondering if maybe, in addition to other problems, there might be too
much friction in some of the upper flange centers. With the teflon
underlevers, it seems to me the centers are usually either too loose (and
creating knocking noises and clicks) or too tight. Repin to get rid of
clicks, using the Steinway reamers, and they'll be far too tight (at least
with my reamers). One precision sized reamer definitely doesn't "fit all"
(what's good for a hammerflange isn't gppd fpr a jack or a damper). I've
had some success with the half sizes from  Pianotek in this application.
Gets to that completely loose condition you want without being noisy.
	Some of what you describe can sometimes be attributed to tightness here -
the wire tends to bear on front or back of the bushing, and lift and drop
are not vertical, which often causes less than complete damping.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Friday, September 12, 2003 5:27 AM -0500 Conrad Hoffsommer