performance piano - student psychopathology 101

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:18:36 -0700

Interesting as well is the effect of repetoire on the voicing (or perception
thereof).  This is a particular problem with relatively inexperienced
players who have not really learned how to control an instrument, and have
not had the privilege of playing a wide variety of pianos (wows to woofers)
and faced the challenge of having to make them all speak consistently.  I've
heard some really great performances on quite undeserving instruments.

We do have a new piano faculty member who is quite an incredible performer.
We have discussed this issue, and seem to be on the same page, so perhaps we
can make a dent in the current mentality.  You're right Ed, tone is a sticky
issue, and the view of the technician can be taken as a challenge, if not
addressed very carefully.  Therefore, any additional wisdom would be most
welcome.

I will hang onto the glover's needles, though.  I may need them to repair my
mocassins should the tide of psychological warfare turn against me.  :-)

Otto