Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:56:49 +0200

Fred Sturm wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>         I share your bafflement. I have heard the same things from various
> Steinway techs - "as long as it's firm, friction doesn't matter."

Well.. from a tonal point of view.. this is correct... it doesnt matter.
That being said I have a hard time with 30 + swings and that degree of
firmness.

> I agree
> with Jeff, Ed, Horace and others. In my experience, friction does matter,
> and I want 4 to 8 grams in my shank centers (paying attention to ambiant
> humidity at the time).

Agreed.. but this is a touch concern then... if firmness is already ok.
And thats where Jim may have his problem. If Steinway considered the
pins firm enough, and did the weigh off with this level of friction,
then increasing overall action friction by 10 grams is going to make
necessary a new weighoff.. and that is not Steinways' problem strictly
speaking. If thats what Steinway intended... then change it at your own
peril.

> I do a lot of top action repinning as a matter of
> standard up-keep. Typically every year or two for a performance instrument.
> I find this makes a big difference to sound production, responsiveness,
> control, nuance, function (helps a lot in the checking versus rep spring
> strength balancing act). So I am puzzled when I hear the opposite view from
> techs I respect.

I am certainly puzzled at the notion one can achieve the firmness
necessary for good tone at 25 + swings of the shank.

Nice post Fred.. thanks

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.