9' knabe's

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:19:16 EST

Dear Wim,

There was a period in the late 1970s when the East Rochester factory would
make a Knabe concert grand on special order.  What they were was essentially
Mason & Hamlin concert grands minus the Tension Resonator turnbuckles.  So I was
told, as we were a M&H/Knabe dealer then.  Never saw one of these hybrids, and
I assume they were very rare.  Even the M&H concert grands were in very
limited production then.  By then Knabe had lost most of its panache, except that
it still had a following as "The Singers' Piano" due at least in part to its
long-standing association with the Metropolitan Opera and its broadcasts.

- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations

"To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the
stupid have an answer for every question." - Edward Abbey