sawing off hammershank tails

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:34:50 -0500

>I use an upside down mounted circular sabre saw... mounted in a jig that
>more or less turns it into a mini table saw. David Stanwood made it for
>me while he was here... origionally it was contrived for making the most
>even slice possible for taking off whippen heels that were to be
>repositioned. Works great.. I can take picture of it if you like.
>
>Thanks David.. btw :)

Richard,

Here's a picture of your jig:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/heelcutoff.jpg

Personally, for 23 years I've cut off shanks after hanging the hammers
using the sabre saw by clamping the stack on the bench, lifting up each
individual shank by putting pressure against the inside of the hammer by
pulling out and running the blade against the hammer and across the shank.
The orbital type of saw with the Japanese style blade as pictured cuts like
butter without catching.  It cuts them off very clean and fast without
having to take the shanks off the rail.  It sounds dangerous but it's
really not because the hammer itself acts as a guard.  There is no stress
on the center pins.  I still have 9 fingers as of last count...! (just
kidding).   It's a little hard to explain clearly..  Maybe a picture would
be worth a few hundred words...  Also after trimming I clamp all the
hammer/shanks together and run a belt sander back and forth across the
tails to shape.  Very fast and neat.

David Stanwood