sawing off hammershank tails

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:59:21 -0500

Hello Wim,

Wac> I used to saw off the ends of shanks with a Dremel saw. But Dremel
Wac> discontinued making them. (I guess too many people trying to stop the saw with their
Wac> fingers, and suing Dremel because it cut off their fingers.)

Wac> For a while I was taking the hammers and shanks off, and trimming the tails
Wac> with a band saw. But lately I've been using a Heavy Duty Cutt-Off Wheel, no.
Wac> 420 from Dremel. I just did a set,  and it worked OK, except that it burns the
Wac> wood, which creates a bad smell, and I used 6 wheels.

Wac> Does anyone else have a way to trim the tails, other than using a band saw?

Yes, but first, I read that Dremel has returned to making the saw
blades. I haven't seen any... but consider where I live... and
unfortunately don't remember where I read about it. (Something to do
with *all* Dremel bits being dangerous, so what's one more got to do
with anything?)

My preferred method is to use an Exacto modeling saw that looks like a
miniature back saw. I have also successfully used what's known as a
model railroader's track-cutting saw (hobby shop). Either one is fast
and efficient, and absolutely flush cutting. The shank is 'approached'
from the tail obviously, just like when using power methods.

The downside is that, if the shanks are mounted to the rail and the
hammers are already hung, you'll need to tilt the stack forward and
provide support to prevent trauma to the flange centers. You may also
elect to gang-clamp the shanks (origin Harvey, commercial version
Spurlock).

I made a special fixture for supporting the hammer and shank during
cutting, and this support went on "tour" many times in my classes. In
spite of several attempts, no one has been successful at making these
en masse for a reasonable price point.

--
Regards,
 Jim                            mailto:harvey@greenwood.net