Re. hammer shank length

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:20:03 -0500

Regarding string breakage on the new M&H BB.  The bearing angle in the
tenor agraffe and lower capo-bar sections of the former Aeolian M&H BB was
horrible, in my opinion - just begging for trouble.  It's not that bad on
the new ones, but still too much, in my opinion.  I complained to M&H about
this, but I got nowhere with it - as if I didn't know what I was talking
about, so I just dropped the subject.  I don't think moving the hammers
farther out on the shanks will help.  By the time you move them enough to
make much difference, you will either have them completely off the shanks,
or else have the action to the point where it won't work.  I'm talking
about the tenor section, not the top treble.

In many respects, the new M&H BB is a fine piano, but it could be a lot
better with just a few design detail modifications.

Jim Ellis, RPT