Time & Chaos (was RE: Client database)

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:41:49 -0500

Hello Avery,

AT> Dave & others.

AT> I'm considering trying T & C and I have two questions for those of you who
AT> already use it:

AT> 1. Is there a way to also enter amounts earned, expenses, that type of thing?
AT>     Or do you have to do that with a different program?

AT> 2. The site indicates that it is registered by user, not by computer. So it
AT>     seems that I could have it on my school AND home computer for the same
AT>     price. Is that correct?

Avery, I basically agree with what David said about a separate
checkbook/accounting system.

However, there is an optional plug-in for T&C called 'Legal Billing'.
Forget the title for a moment. This program can effectively track
income, expenses, and payments. It will also generate a billing form
to your word processor, albeit that function is primitive. The
reporting portion is far more powerful and useful.

The plug-in is primarily for folks (like consultants, lawyers, etc.)
who bill in minute/hour increments. However, I've successfully used it
to track:

1. Which customer paid. It defaults to record that currently
has focus. This is good, since it's that record that you're updating,
have their check in your hand, and so on.

2. How much paid

3. Date paid

4. Period x to period y income (including entire fiscal years,
year-to-date)

5. Income generated over time from a given client

6. Expenses (as in #5)

You can also set it up to reflect income from various sources, such as
tuning, repairs, or whatever other divisions you want to track. You
can play with the various input places to, for instance, record the
clients check number.

I confess I haven't found the need for the expense function, since
most of my expenses are global, not on a per-client basis. A rebuild
situation would likely work nicely though -- so much for pinblock, so
much for hammers, and so forth.

Just wanted to throw this in, since the title of the plug-in is very
misleading.

--
Regards,
 Jim                            mailto:harvey@greenwood.net