Time & Chaos (was RE: Client database)

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:10:03 -0800

At 11:03 AM 2/26/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>As the years go by you come to the realization that 90% of that info is
>never looked at again.  Why keep it in the first place?

Perhaps because as the years go by, my recall gets so cloudy and unreliable
that I need a searchable cheat sheet. A file where I can enter a phone
number or address, and figure out who they are and when I worked for them
and what I did. THEY remember ME just fine ... embarrassing to have totally
forgotten so many of them.

Two days ago, on the other hand, a customer was sure I replaced keytops,
claned, regulated,  and tuned a promising old hulk (Werner) for her. It
didn't look like my work, but I've forgotten so many jobs I couldn't be
sure. I asked her if she had moved since then. She had not. I had no
remembrance of the house at all. For a change, I was right -- she found the
invoice from my colleague in the bench. <phew>

At some point I'll probably want to pop for a laptop or something smaller
to take with me, so I don't have to go home to remember what I should have
all along, unaided.

After 40 life becomes a maintenance problem ...

Susan Kline