Steinway B buzz

Bill Maxim wmaxim@sc.rr.com
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 22:26:30 -0400

An institution (University) I service bought a 1921 Steinway B for their =
recording studio and had a colleague rebuild the instrument about 6 =
months ago, a truly beautiful job.  It has in the meantime developed a =
buzz (very slight but annoying) very similar to the sound of a small =
screw lying on the sound board.  The buzz shows up around B5-C6.  =
Nothing is on the sound board.  Nothing shows up feeling around under =
the plate.  Pressing on the bridge/board in that area makes no change.

However, pressure on the board toward the bass about a foot in from the =
belly rail quiets it, as does pressing up from beneath at the same =
point.

The board was not replaced but was shimmed using a router from Spurlock. =
 There are no loose ribs, no run-out glue at the rim, no sign of any =
separation in the shims or otherwise that I can see..  Both the =
rebuilder and I are located about 100 miles from the university.  Since =
I am there regularly it falls to me to handle the situation until he can =
get there.

In desperation, I fell back on the frowned-on practice of wedging =
something between the board and a beam.  I wedged a rubber mute + wooden =
wedge up under the lath (what is its correct name?) that connects 3 ribs =
in that area.   It stops the buzz for now.

Reflecting on the situation, I wonder if the piano needs a cut-off bar =
in that area to isolate that portion of the board; and I have in effect =
provided one.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions on where to look for the =
real cause of the buzz, how to correct it, etc.

I have the fortunate situation that the faculty member who oversees my =
work is a member of the Guild and enrolled in the Randy Potter course.  =
In fact, he got to Nashville last week and I didn't!  It is a pleasure =
to work under someone who has the interest if not the experience.

Bill Maxim

wmaxim@sc.rr.com