Fw: PTG Tuning Test - Confidential Information

Keith Kopp keith_kopp@byu.edu
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:47:18 -0600

Hello Jeff,
When I said "Don't do anything out of the normal" I meant not out of the
normal way you tune. If you find a piano out of tune by 24 cents your
normal tuning procedure very well might include a pitch adjust of some
kind. After I read your replay I did an experimental tune on an exam
piano here at BYU. I de-tuned the bass and high treble octave as
prescribed by the exam procedure. I then tuned those octaves to the
master tune, one pass only, without doing any pitch adjustment of any
kind. After the tune, I went back and measure the tuning to see how much
shift may have occurred. There was not one note that shifted more than
one cent. The average shift was less than .5 cent. This would have been
well within the 6 cents allowed before even one points would have been
lost. In the real world we are given a piano to tune without a road map
of what notes are out of tune and by how much. I feel the examinee is
also given a piano that is out of tune and if they want to be known as a
RPT they should be able to tune it. I believe the exam piano is detuned
in manner that examinees are not handicapped. Just tell them to tune the
piano. If they can tune at a RPT level, they will pass the exam.
Keith Kopp