WerkmeisterIII (addenda)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:52:38 EDT

<< Does anyone have a clear, step by step procedure for tuning a
Werkmeister III aurally?  (on a harpsichord) I have put it on with a
Verituner and a SAT, but I'm trying to "wean" myself from ETDs for a
while.  >>

I accidentally cut off the WErckmeister part: sorry
(add this to the Kirnberger instructions in the preceding post. )

When you feel you've mastered Kirnberger, it's an easy
matter to change it into something else, so now it's time
for Werkmeister III. He proposed his third temperament
in 1691
1. From your nicely tuned Kirnberger, sharpen that e' that
your violinist friend so much despised, so that instead of
the beautiful perfect third with middle c', it makes a
perfect fifth with a.
2. Tune down the octave to e, and raise the b so it is a
perfect fifth with the e.
Congratulations--You're done! You've tucked that last
narrowed fifth a little bit further around the circle,
improving the sharp keys. And you will be forever loved
by your string-playing colleagues because they needn't detune the top string
on their fiddles.

Ed Foote RPT