WerkmeisterIII - Thanks

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:23:33 -0600

Doug, Richard, Ed, and Dafydd,

Thanks, all, for your help with the Werkmeister III. I found a copy of
Owen J's book but couldn't find a clear "how to".

As a side note, several of our faculty now want this and other WTs on
their pianos. (Especially those into composition, for some reason.)
Maybe I've created a monster! :-)

Thanks again,
Jim Busby

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Doug Atkins
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 10:50 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: WerkmeisterIII

Werkmeister III

1.  C4 to a fork   (or down an octave from C5 if you don't have C4
fork)

2.  C4   F4   4th*

3.  C4   F3   5th*   (check the F3 F4 octave)

4.   F4   A#3   5th

5.   F3   A#3   4th   (this step is only a check)

6.   A#3    D#4   4th

7.   D#4    G#3   5th

8.   G#3   C#4   4th

9.   C#4   F#3   5th

10.   C#4   F#4   4th   (check F#3   F#4 octave)

11.   A#3    D4   M3rd

12.   Sharpen D4 until  A#3   D4 beats the same as D4    F#4

13.   D4   G3   5th

14.   Sharpen G3 until G3   D4 beats the same as G3   C4

15.   F3   A3   M3rd

16.   Sharpen A3 untill F3   A3 beats the same as A3   D4

17.   A3   E4   5th

18.    E4   B3   4th

*4ths and 5ths are tuned perfect unless otherwise noted.

Jim,

  I tune a few of our practice room pianos with this temperament. I
have two Boston 163's in adjacent rooms. Very few students can
distinguish that there is a different tuning on the two pianos.  After
they have been made aware of the differences, some can hear the subtle
color variations.
  Have fun : )

Doug Atkins
Registered Piano Technician