cost effective CAUT hammer renewal (was hammer re-felting,)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:12:13 -0500

Yup,

one thing both Isaac and Ed touched on, and Trevor Nelson (Boulder,Co.)
conveyed to me after discussion with Norbert and Helmut Abel in Nashville,
is hammer moldings from North American pianos seem more brittle under the
re-felting process.

This includes European pianos that have spent most of their lives in North
America.

The Abels feel this may be due to continual air-conditioning/dry-heating
cycles here, which are uncommon to most of Western Europe.

Sure appreciate all the research the American Forestry made available on the
subject of wood.

Thanks Otto!

BTW, Denis mentions I just missed you in Banff by several days.  Will you be
around in fall?

Anton Z. had an encounter with an angry female griz. and 2 cubs (up on
Cascade) that made the paper! My feet are still sweating!

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University