Mobile workbench ideas

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:43:51 -0400

Hi Brad, All,
Some technician friends of mine at another school purchased a gurney
which is used by copier salesmen and repairmen.  Probably more
expensive than the wooden dolly which has been discussed.  But it is
designed to be pushed into the back of a van or truck, you press a
button and the wheels and legs fold under the gurney as you push it
into the vehicle.  There are different makes of these, so what's on top
will vary by maker - some have carpet, some have thin rubber.  There
would be no reason why one could not attach perhaps a piece of good
quality plywood to the top to form a stable flat workbench.  And there
are different sizes as well.  The casters are sturdier than these on
this dolly too, so thresholds are not as much of a problem.

I was a copier salesman in a former life, and was very familiar with
the two or three gurneys our company had.  I think they would work
great.  They're fairly expensive, maybe as much as $1000, but should
last you two lifetimes and then some.

Just another idea.

Jeff

On Saturday, July 24, 2004, at 09:11 AM, Brad Smith wrote:

> Hello All,
> I'm searching for either the plans or the product for a mobile
> workbench, to
> form
> the nerve center of my shopwork.  I want to be able to take some
> action work
> home, and use
> gaps in my schedule to put time into action projects, without having
> to go
> to my shop.
>
> A bench that could roll in and out of a van, seems like the way to go.
>
> Any ideas?

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music
University of South Carolina