Journal Articles

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 31 May 2004 21:37:00 -0600

--On Monday, May 31, 2004 2:07 PM -0500 Mark Cramer <Cramer@BrandonU.CA>
wrote:

> Pianos had been regulated for very, very close let-off (ala; Fred S.)
> however drop was uniformly about 1/4," and rep. springs were fairly hyper.
> (presumeably the wide drop was compensation for the strong spring
> settings?)
>
> Can anyone tell me, was/is this a popular regulating style? Taught at
> conventions? By manufacturers?
>
> I was initially timid to change it. Didn't want to undo someone else's
> very meticulous work, without understanding what they were trying to
> acheive. However, the "notchiness" of the wide drop setting finally got
> to me, and I eventually conformed things to my own narrow (pardon the
> pun) understanding.
>
> Can anyone shed light on this for me, otherwise I carry on happily as
> above.

Hi Mark,
	I've seen that quite a bit myself. My guess is that, as drop must be done
out of the action cavity, they didn't match the keydip very well. And
regulated drop to where the hammer rose after aftertouch (which became
excess due to increased keydip - due to bench not matching keybed). Similar
sort of thing happens often with check. Anyway, it's as good a guess as
any. I hate the feel - spongy letoff due to dropscrew contacting before
letoff button.
	Hyper springs? Well, who knows what has happened to center friction since
whoever regulated it last. But I suppose your theory could be correct. Some
people may think they need more spring than necessary, and then crank down
the drop screw to avoid double strikes. Not a good thing.
Regards,
Fred