Drop (was Journal Articles)

Jorgensen, Michael L jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 05:50:02 -0400

List,
    I have used drop to significantly alter the touch in a quick and easy way.  Perfect sychronized letoff and drop creates a snappy responsive feel, the down side being it can be harder to control.  Shallow drop creates a very light touch, in danger of bobbling, that is even harder to control.  Deeper drop makes the action feel heavier and mushier but easier to control.  A micro change in drop of 1/4 turn significantly alters it.    So after deciding the direction you want, simply run through the entire action, regulating drop rythmically in about five minutes using the "Yamaha bounce test".  Slowly push down three or four notes together running up and down the scale to watch for even drop and bounce.  If in general I feel the piano needs more drop, then I search for shanks which drop a bit less than the others and then give those 1/8 to 1/4 turn down depending on my perception of it.   Even if only 1/3 of the notes get a change in drop, the perception of the whole action will change, and it is always getting more even.  Jack Krefting said something like "It may play like a truck, but eveness of response is what pianists like", a quote I've lived by.  IMHO there is room for a little bit of subjectivity in the amount of drop within a very narrow parameter.
Any thoughts?
-Mike Jorgensen.