tuning stretch (was Re: Practical Concert Work)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 07:55:10 -0600

Hi Otto,
	Thanks for your response. It's often hard to get people to be specific
about just what they think constitutes the right amount of stretch.
Interesting that we agree on the general principle that what matters is
"maximum coincidence of partials" but differ in interpretation of that
principle. I favor higher partials than you do. And I think, like you, that
my style of tuning makes harmonics  match up & resonate with each other to
the greatest degree.
	I should clarify when I say my octaves have a definite beat. That is true
only in the upper registers, say above C5, and in a very gradual curve. I
don't like particularly wide octaves in the rest of the piano. Wider than
the "dead spot" for sure, but less than 1 bps.
	I find that, while I can hear the octave beats in the high register if I
play those octaves in isolation, I am utterly unable to hear them in actual
performance. And I listen for them, particularly in passages where they
might stand out (going to concerts).
	When I first got an SAT about ten years ago, I tuned according to its
generated tuning for a bit. Very nice, clean sound. Based on clean double
octaves throughout the scale (except slightly wide 6:3 octaves in the
bass). I certainly don't object to that sound, but found that it was a bit
dull to my ear. I'll also mention that when I got an RCT a few months ago,
I experimented with the wider pre-sets - 6 to 9 - and didn't like that
sound. Problem being that the extra width of the octave is used throughout
the scale. The mid-range in particular sounded to raucous. I prefer a more
conservative approach in the middle and lower registers (a 5 in RCT
pre-set), but have a definite preference for increasing width in the upper
ranges.
	Years of experimentation, first aurally, then with ETD, have left me to
what I do today, which may be on the "wide stretch" side. I'm interested to
know whether I am on a fringe, or just "half way off the center."
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Wednesday, June 2, 2004 7:36 AM -0700 Otto Keyes <okeyes@uidaho.edu>