Drop (was Journal Articles)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:32:11 -0500

	Very interesting. I guess this says that the Steinway folks are finding
that synchronicity is of paramount importance in satisfying the top
artists. I would take it that the action is already within very tight
tolerances when this procedure is done, so the variance in jack/knuckle
friction and period of time of jack/knuckle contact is fairly minimal. I'm
sure this aspect has occurred to the Steinway guys - they are a
particularly sharp team.

>> Yes, yes, (this adjustment, or should I say "refinement" is the "last"
one in their order of regulation), and yes.

	This is in keeping with what we seem to be hearing from all sides - top
independent techs as well as the official line from the Yamaha and Kawai
teams, and from Bechstein and Seiler as well. I concur that this "positive
bump" is a good thing, providing the pianist with a very positive feel for
maximum control. I noted in an earlier post the notion of microadjustment
of acceleration/velocity during the keystroke. Much of that adjustment
occurs, I think, after the bump is felt. I'm writing from experience as a
performer, as well as theoretically. There is a sense that one has much
more control over tone quality and volume with synchronicity. I look at it
like a baseball pitcher's technique. The whole body movement is very
important, but so much of the real finesse is in that final release/flip of
the wrist.
	The responses you got from Dave Porritt and Mike Jorgenson are quite
interesting. I can see where individual preference might dictate varying
from simultaneous in some circumstances.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

Regarding the "the bump," my preference is to have this sensation as "crisp"
as possible, and as late as possible, IOW, the least functional key travel
remaining after escapement, the better.

Or to say the same thing differently; .045" A/T in an Steinway usually
"seems" right, whereas anything more than .035" in a Yamaha (pardon my
generalization), and the "bump" becomes objectionable. Syncronization and
correct after-touch seem to go hand in hand. IMHO

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University