Drop

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:32:56 -0500

Pretty much same here Fred, though I revert to using a 300g weight on the
key (John Hartman's "technician's third-hand") once I'm in the ballpark.

Got tired of "whumping" the stretcher with the heel of my hand (to trigger
escapement), so instead, now tap lightly on top of the key-weight with my
capstan tool. It's in my hand anyhow (for adjusting blow-distance), is
likely every bit as consistant, and saves my fist for pounding on the
armchair when "the Flames" take a bad penalty!  ;>)

Thanks for specifying the sequence/dimension (below). Rather than key-travel
after escapement (after-touch), I guess we're actually quantifying
key-travel-remaining, at the "on-set of escapement."

For clarity in my own records, I log specs as follows:

Key-dip: 10mm @ key-front @ 300g
sharp-dip: 3.2mm above nats @ 300g
After-touch: .040" @ 300g
Key height: @ #01/#44/#88: 65mm from bottom of key-frame
(as opposed to from key-bed, or top of key-slip)
Blow distance, etc.

Like re-using electronic tuning records, this seems to be a great
time-saver.

best regards,
Mark C.