hot hide glue wash

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:50:01 -0700

At 07:34 PM 6/4/2004 -0700, David wrote:
>What is that sticky white stuff that I had to remove before rebushing...?
>
>David

I know the sticky white stuff you refer to -- about the consistency of
bubble gum even after much steaming or soaking with vodka. I think I
found it in not-so-hot console keys a couple of times, and the very
soft wood of the keybuttons and front rail mortises splintered and
came out with it. I'm not sure exactly what it consists of, but I
am sure it isn't white glue or Elmer's. After white glue sets up, globs
of it may be a slightly flexible stone, but it isn't GOO. When I
removed bushings glued in (by me) with white glue, almost all the
glue came out along with the bushing.

Susan Kline